Dr. R.G. Kar returned from U.K. and convened a meeting on 18th October, 1886. It was attended by Drs. Mahendra Nath Banerjee. Akshoy Kumar Dutta, Bipin Behari Moitra, M.L. De., B.G. Banerjee, Kundu Bhattacharya and many others. They decided to establish a Non Official Medical School of some standard.
The First Non-official Medical School under the name "The Calcutta School of Medicine was established at 161, Baithakkhana Bazar Road, Calcutta and later removed to 155, then to 117, Bowbazar Street, Calcutta.
1887 – The name of the Calcutta School of Medicine was changed to "The Calcutta Medical School" in the month of August, the curricula of the Government School were adopted.
1889 - A Society was formed and was registered under ACTVI of 1882. Dr. Lai Madhab Mukherjee was elected President and Dr. R.G. Kar was elected Secretary of the Management Committee of the Calcutta Medical School. The medium of teaching I was in Bengali and duration of study was of 3 years. There having no attached Hospital for the students, the students used to attend Mayo Hospital for their training. The I Mayo Hospital was established in 1874.
1895 - Another Non-officialMedicallnstitution "College of Physicians and Surgeons of Bengal"was formed at 294, Upper Circular Road which had a Hospital of 14 beds. The period II of study was of 4 years and there was only 12 students on the roll.
1897 - The school was removed to 228, Upper Circular Road, near Science College of Calcutta University.
1898 - A plot of land of about 12 Bigha was purchased at the cost of Rs. 25,000/- at the I present site of the College & Hospital, one storeyed Hospital building at a cost of Rs. 70,000- for 30 beds was constructed out of which a sum of Rs. 15,000/- was received from raised to commemorate the visit of Prince Albert Victor and the building was named after him.
1902 - The formal opening of the Albert victor Hospital was done by Sir Jhon Woodburn, the then Governor of Bengal.
1903 - The different departments of the School was transferred to the new site.
1904 - Pannalal Seal Outdoor Block was added to the Hospital at a cost of Rs. 12,000/¬through a fund available from Babu Manick Lal Seal and was opened by Sir Andrews Frazer In the same year. The Building Fund was enriched by a donation of Rs. 15,000/¬from maharaja Manindra Chandra Nandy Bahadur of Cossimbazar and also Rs. 10, 000/¬from Babu Rama Charan Bhur. A grant of Rs. 10,000/- was received from Govt. of Bengal. The two institutions were amalgamated and the name was changed to "The Calcutta Medical School and College of Physicians and Surgeons of Bengal" and thus a school department with a course of 4 years in Bengali and a College department with a course of 5 years in English were in function.
1909- Second floor of the A.v.H. Building was constructed through a donation from Rani Kasturi of Posta Raj Family at a cost of Rs. 37,000 and the number of bed strength was increased from 40 to 100. The new Block was inaugurated by Sir Edward Baker the then Governor of Bengal who also announced a donation of Rs. 5,000 as a mark of appreciation of the services rendered by the authorities. A donation of Rs. 20,000 from Babu Debaprasanna Ghosh was also received.
1910 - The Manmatha Bhattacharya Memorial Committee donated a sum of Rs. 9,000 and a donation of Rs. 17,500 was received from King Edward Memorial Committee.
1911 - The Imperial Majestic King Edward V and Queen Mary donated a sum of Rs. 5,000 when they visited India. To cope with the increasing demand of the medical man power several other Medical Institutions were established by Dr. S.K. Mallick, Fernandez, B. Basu, B.K. Basu, S.P. Sinha. The Government asked the different private Medical Institutions in Calcutta to unite to form an efficient teaching Institution and get it affiliated to Calcutta University.
1914 - The Calcutta Medical School and College of Physicians and Surgeons of Bengal came forward with a proposal to the Government and the Secretary of the State agreed to the proposal with certain conditions.
1916 - On completion of al! the formalities the formal inauguration of the College was held on 5th July. The name of the College was "Belgachia Medical College." Lord Carmichael the then Governor of Bengal inaugurated the func!ion. Only 48 students were admitted in the first batch. The Calcutta University granted affiliation upto Preliminary Scientific M.B. Standard.
1917 - The Calcutta University granted affiliation upto First M.B. Standard. They also granted permission for admission of 100 students. Raja D.N. Mullick Out Door Block was constructed to accommodate all the out Patients Department except the Ophthalmology Department, which was housed in Pannalal Seal Dispensary. The College was granted affiliation upto 1 st M.B. Standard.
1918 - A society named as "Medical Education Society of Bengal" was formed for the better management of the Institution. L./Col. S.P. Sarbadhikari was he First President and Dr. R.G. Kar was it's First Secretary. Previous to this, Rai Bahadur Dr. Lalmadhab Mukherjee, President of the School continued as President and Dr. R.G. Kar as Secretary of the College.
1919 - The College was granted affiliation upto Final M.B. Standard. Another floor was constructed on A.V.H. Building and Pannalal Seal Dispensary. The different College and Hospital departments were equipped with modern instruments. The University of Calcutta made a grant of Rs. 10,000/- and Government of Bengal donated Rs. 5,000/ to furnish the Laboratories. In recognition of gracious help the College was named after Lord Carmichael.
1921 - Lord Ronaldshey laid the foundation stone of the Surgical Building. Our student Sri Hirendra Kumar Chatterjee was placed First in Order of merit in the First M.B.Examination of the Calcutta University for the first time.
The construction of the Surgical Building was completed at a cost of Rs. 2,75,000 the "j '~I
first batch of students passed Final M.B. Examination. Our Ex-student Dr. Nirode
Baran Mondal was first appointed as the Demonstrator of Pathology of the Institution.
Our Ex -student Dr. Hirendra Kumar Chatterjee was placed First in order of merit in Final M .B. Examination of the Calcu:tta Universityfor the first time and he also stcxx:l first in Surgery.
The donation of Sri Balai Chand Dey amounting to Rs. 37,000 made possible to acquire a plot of land at the eastern side of the boundary to have the isolation ward. The second storey was constructed at the cost of Rs. 28,000 out of which the Cossipore Chitpur Municipality contributed Rs. 10,000. The 3rd floor was constructed through a grant of Rai Jnan Chandra Ghosh of Rs, 1 ,00,000 for the Nirmalendu T.B. Sanatorium and a further amount of Rs. 14,000 was raised by Dr. Bepin Behari Ghosh Memorial Committee.
1926 - The Anatomical Block was constructed at a cost of Rs. 81,400 out of which Rs. 50,000 was received from the Government. A cold storage room was constructed for preserving the cadavers.
1927 - Our Ex-stuctent Dr. Upendra Nath Banerjee was first appointed as the Superintendent of the Hospital.
1930 - Dr. Ramaranjan Ghosh, our ex-student was the first doctor who went to England to obtain DOMS diploma from there.
1931 - For the benefit of the ailing students, a student infirmary was established by the Government of India.
1932 - Bissumbhur Dutta Children ward was established with a denation of Rs. 44,100. The Student's Union was formed, with Dr. Umapati Mazunder as the first President and Dr. Sudhir Chandra Moitra as the General Secretary ofthe Student's Union. The Ex¬students' Association was formed with Dr. Prafulla Bhusan Basu as the first President and Dr. Suresh Chandra Dutta as the first Hony. Secretary. The first Re-Union was organised and Dr. Prafulla Bhusan Basu was elected President of the Re-Union.
1933 - Our Ex -Student Dr. Bidhu Bhusan Bhattacharya obtained the MD. degree of Calcutta University for the first time. The first psychiatric OPD in Asia was started in general hospital set-up under Prof. Girindra Sekhar Bose.
1935 - Sir Kedar Nath Das Maternity Hospitals was constructed at a cast of Rs. 4,45,000 out of which the Govt. of Bengal donated Rs. 1,50,000 Calcutta Corporation donated Rs. 34,0007 Lord S. P. Sinha of Raipur donate Rs. 31,000 and Nijam of Hyderabad donated Rs. 3,5000 our Ex-Student Dr. Amiya Kumar Sen obtainedF.R.C.S. (England) for the first time.
1936 - Our Ex-student Dr. Jahar Lal Ghosh obtained the M.R.C.P (London) for the first time.
1937 - Our Ex-student Dr. Nemai Banerjee obtained the M.O. degree of Calcutta University for the first time. Bio-chemistry department was formed. This was then the first of its kind in an undergraduate institution in the country.
1938 - Another floor was constructed at the SUrgical Block. The Tarak Ganguly Block was endowed by Sri Lalbehari Ganguly at a cost of Rs. 1,69,000.
1939 - Separate Cardiology Department was established which was then the first of its kind in the country. Our Ex-student Dr. Uma Pada Mukherjee obtained the M.S. degree of Calcutta Univers~y and Dr. Siva Prasanna Misra obtained M.R.C.O.G. (London) forthe first time.
1940 - Sir Niratan Sircar Research Institute was established. The Cardiology and Bio¬chemistry Departments were accommodated on the ground floor. Raj Jaharlal Das donated Rs. 16,000 tor the creation of an Antenatal Unit. Our Ex-student Dr. Sachchidananda Banerjee obtained-G rifithMemorial Prize of the Calcutta University for the first time.
1941 - The College celebrated Silver Jubilee Celebration. The foundation stone of Silver Jubilee Hall was laid by Sir Nilratan Sircar. Male Students' Hostel was contructed at the cost of Rs. 2,14,000.
1945 - Our Ex-student Dr. Sachchidanda Banerjee obtained the D. Sc. Degree and was awarded Coats. Medal of the Calcutta University for the first time.
1946 - Our student Sri Ranesh Chandra Chakraborty acquired honours in all the four subjects in First M.B. examination of Calcutta University. This is still a record.
1948 - The name of the Institution was changed to "R.G. Kar Medical College and Hospital" on 12th May, 1948.
In London Olympics our Student Mr. T.Ao, Mr. Suhas Chatterjee and Mr. Bimal Chandra elected captain of the Football, Waterpolo and Swimming team respectively.
1949- Further two floors were constructed on Sir Nilratan Sircar Research Institute. The Bengal Immunity Therapeutic Block was opened by Dr. K.N. Katju, the then Governor of West Bengal.
Dr. Ashok Bagchi obtained Honours in Surgery, Ophthalmology and ato-Rhinolaryngology from Calcutta University. This unique achievement .was the first among our students.
1951- The third storey of the students Infirmary was added. Our Ex-student Dr. Hirendra Kumar Chatterjee was appointed as Vice-Principal of the Institution for the first time. Our Ex-student Dr. Amar Sen did partial Lobectomy operation in the surgical ward. I This was the first Thoracic Surgery operation in the City.
1952- Our Ex-student Dr. Sachchidananda Banerjee was elected as Fellow of the National II
1954 - The Nurses Hostel was constructed to acommodate 200 nurses was constructed and it was inaugurated by Lady Bangabala Mukherjee. Our Ex-student Dr. Binode Behari Roy had
obtained the Ph.D. degree of the Calcutta Univers~y and Dr. Hirendra Kumar Chatterjee was elected to the Senate of the Calcutta University for the first time.
1955 - Our Ex-student Dr. Hirendra Kumar Chatterjee was appointed officiating Principal of the Institution and elected to the West Bengal Legislative Assembly for the first time.